Slate is a type of rock commonly used in construction. However, if you have a slate fireplace, you can use it as your canvas to make this space your own. With the simple process of painting on new paint, your fireplace will look more like the one you’ve always dreamed of.
What is a Slate Fireplace?
Slate is a type of stone that is used as a fireplace material. It is made up of many small pieces that have been shaped into a rough surface. This surface is then polished to create a smooth finish. Slate fireplaces are popular because they are rustic and look natural in any room. They can also be decorated to match any décor.
How to Clean Slate
Not all slates are created equal when it comes to cleaning. Certain methods will work better than others.
Here are four ways to clean slate fireplace walls and ceilings:
1) Use a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment. Move the broom around the entire surface, particularly the corners and crevices. Be sure to use covering protection on the end of the hose.
2) Use a bucket filled with lukewarm water and mild soap. Pour enough so that there is one inch of depth in the bucket and work the soap into the stone’s pores with a cloth. Dunk the cloth in and out of the water until it is soapy and wring it out vigorously. Wipe down any areas that seem particularly dirty. Don’t forget to rinse off the area before you move on.
3) Pour boiling water over the surface and sit for a few minutes. Gently scrub with a brush dipped in lukewarm water, being careful not to damage or scratch the stone. Use a wire brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner if there are particularly stubborn areas. Rinse off well before moving on.
4) Use a nylon brush to remove the remaining soap residue from the stone’s surface. If you have a wire brush attachment, use it instead.
5) Place the clean stone on your work surface and rinse for 15 seconds with a spray bottle filled with lukewarm water.
6) Use a cloth to dry off any areas that need additional drying.
7) Repeat steps 3 through 6 until all stone surfaces are clean.
8) Wash and dry all used rags between uses to prevent odors and stains on your work surface.
What Color to Paint Slate
When painting a slate fireplace, the color you choose is important. Slate comes in a variety of colors and each one needs to be considered when painting your fireplace.
If you want a light colored slate, use a light color paint. For example, if you want to use white paint, use a light yellow or pale green paint. If you want a dark color, use a dark color paint. For example, if you want to use black paint, use a dark brown or coal paint.
Paint your slate fireplace the same color as the surrounding walls and trim. A lighter color will give your fireplace a warmer look and a darker color will create a more dramatic effect. To get an even coat, use a soft brush and start in the center of the slate, working your way out to the edges.
If you have trouble getting a good coat of paint on the slate, try spraying it with a small amount of paint first. This will help dilute the paint and make it easier to apply. Allow the paint to dry completely before using your fireplace.
If you’re thinking of painting your fireplace, check out our guide on how to paint a slate fireplace. We’ll show you the different techniques and explain which is right for your home. Whether you want to keep the traditional look or go with something more modern, we’ve covered you!